DeKalb, IL – Apartment kitchen fire extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Two families were displaced by a kitchen fire in the Hunter Ridgebrook apartment complex last Monday at 835 Edgebrook Drive.  The DeKalb Fire Department responded to the fire, which started on the stove of a ground-floor apartment, about 9 p.m., Fire Chief Eric Hicks said.  Hicks said the fire was put out by the on-site sprinkler system by the time firefighters arrived – six minutes after the call came in.  He said the fire is not being considered malicious and is being treated as accidental.

“It was a pretty good-sized stove fire,” Hicks said, adding that it was confined to the apartment.  The Hunter Ridgebrook property manager helped the families out with a place to stay, Hicks said. He estimated the damage at $20,000.  The city’s building and code compliance division is checking with the property owner to ensure repairs are being addressed, Hicks said.  The Sycamore, Cortland, Malta, Shabbona, Maple Park, and Genoa-Kingston fire departments assisted.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *