Chesapeake, VA – Three-story apartment fire extinguished by sprinkler system

An apartment fire displaced seven residents Saturday afternoon, officials said.

Firefighters were called to Adalay Bay apartments at 100 Sabal Palm Lane at 4:19 p.m., Lt. Anthony Barakat, assistant fire marshal, wrote in a news release.

Firefighters arrived at 4:24 p.m. and found a three-story apartment building with smoke coming from the back, Barakat said. They made sure the building was evacuated and quickly accessed the third-floor apartment where the fire started, he said.

The sprinkler system activated and extinguished the fire. Firefighters shut down the sprinkler system so no other units would be damaged, Barakat said.

He said the fire was cooking-related and no one was hurt.

According to Barakat, the third-floor unit suffered fire and water damage. The two units below also had water damage. Residents can’t stay in the units because water got into the electrical system and the electricity was turned off.

“Once there’s no power, we can’t allow anyone to stay there,” he said.

Adalay Bay management is helping those displaced by the fire, Barakat said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *