Fairfax County Fire and Rescue determined a fire sprinkler saved residents and minimized damages at a Belle Haven apartment fire on Tuesday, July 31. Fairfax County and Alexandria firefighters responded to the 5900 block of Richmond Highway around 10:02 a.m. at the 13-story high rise. By the time they arrived, the sprinkler system had already extinguished a fire in a fifth floor unit. There were no injuries. The unit’s residents were not home at the time of the fire. Building residents were alerted by the fire alarm system. Fire investigators determined unattended cooking on the stove started the fire. Initial damage estimates are $500. The two residents were displaced and declined Red Cross assistance. The fire department reminds residents that sprinklers can save lives and their properties.