A sprinkler system helped quell a fire Thursday afternoon in the kitchen area of the Ramada Rapid City on North Lacrosse Street. Rapid City firefighters responded to reports of flames coming from the kitchen just after 2 p.m. A preliminary check indicated that the fire was not ignited by a cooking appliance, according to Lt. Jim Bussell of the Rapid City Fire Department. “The fire was knocked down by the sprinkler system when we arrived,” Bussell said. “It sounds like the sprinkler system did its job, and it’s a really good example of why we are very much advocates for fire sprinkler protection.” He said fire crews were clearing the kitchen and lobby area of residual smoke and shutting down the sprinkler. The hotel convention center complex was evacuated, with no reports of injuries to staff, guests or firefighters.