A sprinkler system extinguished a fire last Monday afternoon in the kitchen of an apartment on Little Elliott Drive, according to Hagerstown Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven. DeHaven said an occupant in a third-floor apartment at 12817 Little Elliott Drive, off Leitersburg Pike, was attempting to cook food in oil, which overheated and caught fire. The occupant put the burning pan in a sink and poured water on it, which caused the fire to flare, he said. A sprinkler system extinguished the blaze by the time firefighters arrived. Although six occupants in the apartment were able to remain in the unit, six occupants in lower apartments were displaced due to water damage to the electrical system, DeHaven said. Firefighters were dispatched to the fire at 4:05 p.m.