Yakima firefighters say a fire sprinkler kept flames on a third-floor deck from spreading to the rest of an eastside apartment building. The fire at the East Beech Apartments, 1402 E. Beech St., was reported at 8:50 a.m. when smoke was seen coming from the third floor. Someone on the deck placed a cigarette in a cardboard box believing it was out, said fire Capt. Jeff Pfaff. The burning cigarette caught the box on fire, which activated an automatic sprinkler system. “The saving factor was the fire sprinkler,” Pfaff said. Damage was estimated at $2,500, including a patio door that shattered when the sprinkler water hit the heated glass, Pfaff said. Officials are calling the fire accidental.