Red Deer, AB, Canada – Balcony fire controlled by sprinkler system

Emergency crews were called to a balcony fire in Vanier Woods last week after improperly stored cardboard caught fire during a barbeque.

Red Deer Emergency Services (RDES) responded to a fire call at 39 Van Slyke Way on June 8th at approximately 11 p.m.

The fire originated on the balcony where residents had stored cardboard materials behind their gas barbeque, which caught fire when the barbeque was used. The balcony’s overhead sprinkler system was activated and kept the fire under control.

Officials say without the sprinkler head on the balcony, the fire would likely have spread to the combustible siding, putting the building and tenants at further risk.

RDES Fire Prevention Bureau reminds residents that June is one of the peak months for barbeque fires. Please consider:

Residents are invited to contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 403-346-5511 or prevention@reddeer.ca with any questions or concerns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *