The fire originated on the balcony where residents had stored cardboard materials behind their gas barbeque, which caught fire when the barbeque was used. The balcony’s overhead sprinkler system was activated and kept the fire under control.
- Propane and charcoal barbeques should only be used outdoors
- The barbeque should be placed at least one metre from combustible materials
- Keep children and pets at least one metre away from the barbeque
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grill and the trays below
- Never leave a lit barbeque unattended
- Always make sure your gas barebeque lid is open before lighting it