Pleasanton, CA – Cooking fire at fairgrounds controlled by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Cooking equipment left on overnight caused a fire inside one of the exhibition halls at the Alameda County Fairground early Monday morning, fire officials said.

“The exhibit used cooking pots with heating elements attached for their display,” Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department Battalion Chief Jack Neiman-Kimel said. “It appears the pot was left on and when the water evaporated the pots melted and caught fire.”

The blaze was contained to the exhibit, which was located in the A building. A sprinkler helped control the fire until firefighters were able to extinguish flames. The fire charred the nearby walls and the building had smoke and water throughout, according to Neiman-Kimel.

No one was injured during the incident and the damage from the fire will not interrupt the fair or its exhibits this week. The damage will likely be repaired by Wednesday.

“It is important to remember to turn off all cooking equipment before leaving your residence or business,” Neiman-Kimel told Patch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *