Las Vegas, NV – Trash chute fire at Marriott hotel suppressed by sprinkler system

(staff reported – confirmed sprinkler operation)  Guests at the Marriott Grand Chateau were evacuated on Tuesday morning after a person called the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department claiming that they heard gunfire going off inside the building. The initial reports were mistaken, however, and it turned out that a fire had broken out inside the building at around 8:50 a.m.

Ed Kinney, vice president for corporate affairs and communications at Marriott Vacation Club, said there was a small fire in the trash chute area of the resort, and that the building was evacuated as a precaution. Guests were coming back into the building as of 10:20 a.m., Kinney said. In a statement, Clark County Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Buchanan said crews arrived to find light smoke in the building and a fire that was out in the laundry chute. Two people were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation, and one person was being evaluated for minor burns, according to Buchanan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *