Des Moines fire captain Randy Jones said the grease fire began once a hot pan was transferred from a stovetop to a sink. Sprinklers installed in the ceiling put out the flames, but the eatery, located at 310 Court Ave., had to be evacuated and closed for the day — about three hours earlier than usual. The sprinklers went off at about 6:20 p.m. Thursday.
“We had quite a bit of water to remove,” Jones said. “The fire was out — it’s more or less just water damage. They need to have the sprinkler system activated again and they also need to have the health department come out and inspect everything before they reopen.”
A couple dozen people were standing outside the more than 30-year-old Court Avenue fixture when the fire department arrived. Officials say they’re not sure how many customers were in the restaurant at the time of the fire.
Spaghetti Works managers said they plan to reopen the restaurant Friday.