A fire at Crothall Laundry in Wheeling was put out within 15 minutes of starting at around 9:01 a.m. Wednesday. Wheeling Fire Chief Keith MacIsaac said there were no injuries sustained, no damage to the building and minimal damage to equipment at the business. However, Hintz Road was shut down for about 30 minutes while hoses were connected to a nearby fire hydrant. According to MacIsaac, the fire was contained to a large, industrial clothes dryer about the size of a semi-trailer. Crothall, located at 45 W. Hintz Rd., serves several local hospitals washing and dying linens and other materials by the ton.
“We’ve had a lot of fires over there,” said MacIsaac. Due to housekeeping issues related to the large machinery, the department responds to similar fires several times a year, he added. Before crews arrived at 9:05 a.m. to battle heavy smoke from the flames, the building’s sprinkler system kept the blaze controlled. All employees were safely evacuated. Damage estimates were not immediately available Wednesday morning