There were no injuries reported Monday afternoon at a fire on Armstrong Street in Morris. Fire crews received a call about a sprinkler activation at 4:34 p.m. at First America Metal, Morris Deputy Chief Bob Wills said. “The sprinkler system did exactly what it was supposed to,” Wills said. The fire began in an area where the facility stores the crushed remains of electronics before being recycled. Wills said it seemed that a battery had gotten into one of the boxes and ignited. About 10,000 pounds of the recyclable material were destroyed, Wills said. Although the fire was contained, the building filled with smoke. A ventilation truck from Lyons had to be called in to help clear the smoke out of the building.
“It’s a very large fan that pressurizes the building,” Wills said, blowing the smoke out. Fire crews from Morris, Minooka, Channahon and Dwight responded to the fire and Lisbon-Seward crews manned the Morris station. Crews were on scene until about 7:15 p.m. The business opened up again Tuesday.