Lake Placid, NY – Fire at Crowne Plaza Resort suppressed by sprinkler system; Overheated computer was cause

The Crowne Plaza Resort and Golf Club was evacuated after the fire broke out around 11:12 a.m last Thursday. “The evacuation plan went great,” Lussi said. “We had actually just had a fire drill about six week ago.” The fire was triggered by a guest’s overcharged computer, he said. The guest was not in the room when the blaze broke out. Flames were contained to the room and had been mostly extinguished by the hotel’s sprinkler system when firefighters arrived.

“Sometimes in small businesses we think of things like sprinkler systems as extremely costly,” Lussi said. “You have to pay to have them inspected and re-certified. “This is just a phenomenal example of why it’s worth doing these things.

“The safety boards or building inspectors should get a lot of credit because we didn’t use to have individual sprinkler in all rooms. It evolved in past 15 or 20 years. When the mandate came to put them in individual rooms, we were like, ‘Oh my gosh, it’s going to be really expensive.’ “Then you realize this was worth every penny we invested, and we encourage other people to do the same.

Lussi credited the Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department for a quick response and for suppressing the hotel’s sprinkler system, which could have drained its entire water supply, he said. “They were very thoughtful in not letting anyone back into the building until they knew the area had been contained and was safe.” Fire Chief Jim Wasson said bedding in the room had ignited. “There was a lot of smoke and a lot of water when we arrived,” he said. “Thank goodness for sprinkler systems. It did a good job of soaking it.” Seventeen members of the department responded. They were back in service by 12:40 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *