Elk Grove, IL – No injuries after sprinklers extinguish apartment kitchen fire

Two apartments were left temporarily uninhabitable after a kitchen fire activated sprinklers in a second floor unit of a building in the 900 block of Charlela Lane, Elk Grove Village, Saturday (April 14) evening.  Red Cross representatives responding to the scene arranged housing for six people from two households on the first and second floors of the building. Elk Grove Village Fire Chief Richard Mikel said no injuries were reported.  Mikel said a stovetop kitchen fire activated a sprinkler and alarm at 5:46 p.m. in a second story unit. Besides an automated alarm, Mikel said calls reporting the fire were also made to 911. The fire was immediately extinguished by the sprinkler system. Mikel said the second floor unit suffered smoke damage and water entered into electrical systems. The first floor apartment directly under the fire unit also suffered water damage from the sprinkler.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *