Decatur, IL – Apartment kitchen fire put out by automatic sprinkler system

… While responding to the incident on 22nd Street, firefighters also were sent to a second fire at 1145 W. Arbor. They found that a sprinkler system had already put out a fire in the facility’s kitchen, so that building suffered minimal damage, the department said.

The following is additional informal narrative from Decatur FD (not reported in media)

This alarm came in at 01:40 as a fire in the kitchen at the Primrose retirement Village. There are apprx. 68 apartments in this upscale senior retirement complex. A service cart with folded linen caught fire and was quickly extinguished by a single sprinkler head activation. Part of this building is assisted living and the other part senior retirement. The fire doors were closed upon our arrival and kept all the smoke in the Dining Hall. This was a great save by the sprinkler system!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *