Cumming, GA – Fire at assisted living facility controlled with help from sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Nearly 40 residents of an assisted living facility are safe after being evacuated due to a fire.  According to Forsyth County Fire Department spokesperson Jason Shivers, the fire happened at Gracemont Assisted Living. The fire apparently originated in a ventilation fan in a storage room for the facility’s dining hall. The fire itself was kept under control by the sprinkler system and a maintenance worker who took hold of a fire extinguisher. However, the water damage from the containment process will mean the building is unavailable for some time until crews can make repairs. Shivers said the fire was not considered suspicious and said that no residents, staff or firefighters were injured. The fire department is now working with the facility and the Red Cross to provide assistance to 38 residents who were forced out of their homes.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *