Austin, TX – Fire in trash chute of high rise apartment building contained by sprinkler system

<The> fire last Sunday developed downtown on West 3rd Street at Amli, a hi-rise apartment building.  AFD said the fire began in the first floor parking garage. They believe someone may have thrown a hot item in the trash compactor. Division Chief Thayer Smith said the sprinkler helped prevent the fire from spreading up the building. When fire crews arrived they extinguished what was left of the fire and worked on smoke removal. Residents were able to return to their homes later that day.

“We really got to ask folks you know not dispose of that stuff in the trash compactor because this is the result of what happens when you do that,” Smith said.  The apartment fire was the second hi-rise fire the department has responded to in the last two weeks for someone tossing an improper item down the trash chute. The building sustained minimal damage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *