Colonial Heights, VA – Fire in meat department of grocery store suppressed by sprinkler system

Crews from multiple jurisdictions responded to a fire inside the Food Lion located in the Dunlop Village shopping center in Colonial Heights. At approximately 4:46 p.m., Colonial Heights and Chesterfield Fire arrived on scene and were told that the Food Lion had a fire in the meat department. Companies from Colonial Heights, Chesterfield, Hopewell and Petersburg all responded.

The cause of the fire appears to be a malfunction in a mechanical refrigeration unit, according to a Colonial Heights Fire spokesperson. A spokesperson with the Colonial Heights Fire Department said four people were treated for minor smoke inhalation. Later, one of those people wished to be transported for treatment. The fire was reported to be under control by 5:30 p.m.

The grocery store’s fire sprinkler system activated and controlled the fire until fire crews arrived and could extinguish the hot spots. The meat department suffered major fire damage, while the rest of the building suffered smoke damage. The damage to the building is estimated at about $15,000 and the estimated damage to the products are unknown at this time. The business will remain closed until it is cleaned up and safety repairs have been made.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *