Middletown, DE – Fire at Amazon fulfillment center put out by automatic sprinkler system

The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that last night’s Amazon fire in Middletown was accidental and caused minimal damage.  The Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown was called to the Amazon Fulfillment Center at 560 Merrimac Avenue at 9:30 pm for a reported fire inside the processing area. Upon arrival, it was learned that the fire sprinkler system had extinguished the fire. State fire investigators were called to the scene According to a release, the fire occurred at the mezzanine level when static electricity ignited leaking vapor from a container of assorted aerosol cans. The area where the fire began was protected by a fully automatic fire sprinkler system which put the fire out and prevented the blaze from spreading. Fire damage was confined to the stockpile of merchandise and was estimated at $1,000. There were no reported injuries, despite scanner news reports to the contrary on Tuesday night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *