Ten people were displaced following a one-alarm fire that broke out in a rear apartment unit behind the Acre Sports Pub on Fletcher Street at around 7:45 a.m. Sunday. The sprinkler system was activated and contained the fire until Lowell firefighters arrived on scene and quickly extinguished the blaze, according to Lowell Fire Chief Jeff Winward.
“Because of a working fire-alarm system, all occupants of the building were able to escape from the fire without injury,” Winward said. The displaced residents of the multi-unit building at 282 Fletcher St. were assisted by the American Red Cross, according to the chief. All other occupants were able to return to their apartments. The Acre Sports Pub remains open. The cause of the blaze was ruled accidental after starting due to an electrical problem, Winward said.