Firefighters were called to a small fire Saturday afternoon on the stage at Jenny Wiley Theatre. Pikeville 911-Public Safety Director Paul Maynard says the fire occurred after a malfunction during a test of the venue’s pyrotechnics. The fire was contained to a portion of the stage, and the building’s sprinkler system worked as designed to put it out. The burnt portion of the stage was removed from the building. The theater sustained some smoke and water damage.
No one was hurt in the incident. Jenny Wiley Theatre released a statement about the incident, saying the fire occurred during preparations for the opening the youth program’s production of “The Tempest.” The statement said while the fire was minor, it did destroy the set for the production. The theater requested donations to offset the cost of repairs.