There were some nervous moments last night as the Chilliwack Fire Department (CFD) responded to reports of a fire at an assisted living facility on McIntosh Drive. Neighbours reported on social media on Feb. 21 after 8:30 p.m. some visible smoke at Cascade Manor Assisted Living. When firefighters from Halls 1 and 4 arrived they found a stovetop fire in the kitchen of a residential unit that had been completely extinguished by the facility’s automatic sprinkler system.
The CFD said the sprinkler system significantly limited fire damage to a small area around the stove and the kitchen cabinets. “Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential of causing extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the care facility,” the CFD said in a press release.
“The Chilliwack Fire Department strongly promotes the installation of automatic fire sprinkler systems in homes. The presence of an automatic fire sprinkler system in conjunction with a working smoke alarm greatly reduces the risk of being injured or dying in a fire.”