Union City, CA – New Year’s Day restaurant fire extinguished by sprinkler system; No injuries reported

Employees and patrons evacuated a popular Filipino restaurant in Union City on New Year’s Day, and no injuries were reported after a water-heater fire broke out, according to the Alameda County Fire Department. Crews responding Monday at 4:33 p.m. to Gerry’s Grill, at 31005 Courthouse Drive, where the eatery’s sprinkler system extinguished the blaze, isolated the water flow to prevent flooding throughout the restaurant, the agency said. The fire was contained to the area around the water heater in the rear of the building, the department said, adding that although the fire extended to a wall, it did not spread inside the wall.

“As a result of the quick actions of firefighters to prevent further water damage and a functioning sprinkler system, Gerry’s Grill sustained minor damage,” fire officials said. There were no reports of injuries to firefighters, restaurant employees or guests, but Gerry’s was temporarily closed. In addition to the Union City locale,Gerry’s, which serves traditional Filipino dishes, has locations in Artesia, Hawaii and Manila, Philippines. No cost estimate for the fire damages was available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *