A fire in an apartment on Madison’s North Side resulted in no injuries but some water damage. The fire was reported at about 8:20 a.m. Tuesday in the 3500 block of Straubel Street, the Madison Fire Department said. Engine Company 8 was initially dispatched to check on an alarm at the building, but arriving firefighters were informed there was smoke in the building.
Firefighters went into the basement of the building and found water dripping from the ceiling, indicating a problem in the unit above. “Firefighters entered the apartment with help from maintenance, and found activated sprinkler heads keeping a fire in check,” said spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster. The fire was extinguished and the walls were checked for any extension of fire. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. No cause of the fire or damage estimate was given. The fire remains under investigation.