A two-alarm high-rise apartment fire blocked Weslayan and West Alabama for nearly two hours Saturday evening. The fire was the result of a kitchen fire on the 26th floor of the 40-story building. The problem was a faulty stove with what was described as a leaking gas valve, Houston Fire Department said. A sprinkler system in the apartment was activated and firefighters did the rest, including capping the leaking valve. Damage was reported to that unit, smoke damage next door, as well as that from water used to put out the fire.
According to the deputy fire chief on scene, apartments one floor above and beneath the unit where the fire was reported were evacuated. The rest of the building was not affected and was not alerted, but some residents were called by friends who saw the firetrucks surrounding the building. One woman walked down 31 flight of stairs with her dog and children in tow. “A friend texted me and suggested I leave,” she said.
Another couple, with their 2-year-old son were returning from dinner when they saw the flashing lights. “We’re here because our house in Brays Heights flooded, and now this,” said Buck Baker. “It’s too much drama.” No injuries were reported and no high rise rescues were required.