The Sandwich Fire Department extinguished a blaze at the Plano Molding Company on Thursday. Fire officials were dispatched to the Plano Molding Company, which is located at 500 Duvick Ave. at approximately 11:24 a.m. for an activated fire alarm. While officials were enroute to the scene, they were updated from 911 calls that there was a fire within the building at 510 Duvick Ave., which is the Plano Molding distribution warehouse. Fire units found that the sprinkler system was active, and that there was a fire in the stack of pallets inside the building.
All occupants of the building evacuated safely, and there were no injuries reported. The sprinkler system in the building kept the fire smoldering until fire crews were able to fully extinguish the fire. Fire crews extinguished the fire in approximately 20 minutes. Crews worked to clear the smoke out of the building and remove the burnt material outside. Officials from the Sandwich Fire Department were assisted on scene by Little-Rock Fox, Bristol-Kendall, Newark and Somonauk Fire. The Sandwich Fire Station was covered with help from the Oswego and Big Rock Fire Departments.