Phillipsburg, NJ – No injuries as sprinkler system helps knock down fire at Toys R Us

The Toys R Us store on Route 22 near Phillipsburg was evacuated Monday for a fire that broke out in the store’s office area, fire officials said.

No one was injured in the 3:59 p.m. blaze, which burned boxes, computer materials and other office items in the building at 1280 Route 22 in Pohatcong Township.

“The fire was confined to an office area off of the retail floor,” Huntington fire Chief Dave Cupon said. “It was a lot more smoke damage than anything, but the store will be closed for an undetermined amount of time while they make repairs.”

Cupon said the fire appeared to have started accidentally in an electrical fixture. No one was in the office when the flames broke out, he said.

“The sprinkler system, once it was activated, knocked down a lot of the fire,” Cupon said. Firefighters quickly finished extinguishing the fire.

Three firetrucks extended their ladders to the Toys R Us and Babies R Us roof, where firefighters used fans to help suck the smoke out of the store.

Assisting Huntington Fire Company were Alpha, Greenwich Township, Phillipsburg, Harmony, Washington and Pohatcong Township fire companies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *