Fire Chief Tim Black said the only reported injury in the late night fire was a 4-year-old boy sleeping in a neighboring room who suffered mild smoke inhalation. He said the boy was not taken to a hospital, but “was just checked out” at the scene.
Black said that thanks to the motel’s sprinkler system, damage was limited to the room with the fire. About half of the mattress was burned and there was some water and possibly some smoke damage in the room, said Black. He did not have a damage estimate.“