Chilliwack, BC, Canada – Townhouse cooking fire put out by home fire sprinkler system

Chilliwack fire officials are reminding residents of the value of home fire suppression units after a townhouse fire was quickly doused by sprinklers.  The fire broke out on a stove top Thursday afternoon in the 5600 block of Sappers Way in Garrison Crossing.  By the time firefighters arrived, the unit’s home sprinkler system had already extinguished the blaze.

“Early control and suppression of the fire by the sprinkler system significantly limited damage to a small area around the stove and kitchen cabinets,” said Assistant Fire Chief Chris Wilson.

“Without a working sprinkler system in place, this fire had the potential to cause extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the home and adjacent units in the townhouse complex.”

Wilson said the Chilliwack Fire Department strongly promotes the installation of automatic fire sprinkler systems in homes. “The presence of an automatic fire sprinkler system in conjunction with a working smoke alarm greatly reduces the risk of being injured or dying in a fire.”

No one was injured in the fire, and the cause was accidental.

“The Chilliwack Fire Department reminds residents to ensure they are aware of the cooking hazards and not be distracted or leave the kitchen when they are cooking.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *