Residents in a downtown Richmond apartment building were evacuated shortly before 5 a.m. Saturday after a report that a couch had caught fire in one of the units. The fire was reported in the Broadway Apartments, located above the Walgreens in the 300 block of East Broad Street, at 4:33 a.m. Saturday. The first crews were on scene about six minutes later, officials said.
Firefighters did not find a fire when they arrived, but the first and second floors were heavily enveloped by smoke, prompting the evacuation, said Lt. Chris Armstrong, spokesman for the fire department. A sprinkler system had activated in one of the apartments, he said. The incident was marked under control at 4:53 a.m. after crews checked on all the residents. No injuries were reported.