The Ocean City Fire Marshal’s Office is crediting fire sprinklers for saving the life of an Ocean City woman who just barely escaped a kitchen fire on New Year’s Eve. Just before 7:30 p.m., firemen were called to the area of 25th Street and Baltimore Avenue, for a building fire. The woman had been cooking when grease spilled over onto the stove burners, starting a fire that quickly spread.
A single sprinkler head in the kitchen activated and extinguished the fire prior to the arrival of fireman. The unit suffered limited fire and smoke damage in the kitchen. The adjoining staircase and first floor restaurant area also experienced water damage. The cause of the fire is classified as accidental.