Galesburg, IL – Restaurant fire extinguished with help from sprinkler system

Galesburg firefighters responded to the report of a structure fire late Thursday morning at Crazy Buffet, 463 Grant Ave., in the Seminary Square retail development. No flames were visible upon arrival, however firefighters found light smoke coming from the roof. Dispatch received a call from the alarm company followed immediately by at least a half dozen calls from passersby saying a large volume of smoke was coming from the roof. Galesburg firefighters responded at 11:24 a.m.  “Fire units found the kitchen full of smoke,” Fire Chief Tom Simkins said in a news release. “Fire had started in wok in the grill area. The manager attempted to extinguish the fire with three hand fire extinguishers. The hood system functioned properly and knocked the fire down on the grill. However, fire had extended outside the grill and was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system which had a single head flowing on our arrival.

“Fire also extended upward into the hood duct system. It appeared the filters had not been cleaned in some time as they were packed with grease, fueling the fire. This caused extension to the roof. The aerial ladder was deployed and a hose line stretched onto the roof. ​A hydrant was needed for additional water for extinguishment.” The Knox County Health Department was notified and the business was closed pending direction from KCHD officials.   No injuries were reported. A call-back crew of five off-duty personnel handled at least three calls during the fire. Simkins said an alarm at the Pizza Ranch “most assuredly” activated due to the drop in incoming pressure in the sprinkler system due to the use of the hydrant across the street.  The fire cause is listed as accidental. The fire department reported the scene under control at 11:50 a.m. Thursday, although fire officials remained on scene to investigate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *