Two burnt towels in a clothes dryer started a fire that forced the evacuation of a Brampton shopping mall on Thursday morning (Jan. 5), according to Brampton Fire and Emergency Services officials. A sprinkler kept the fire in check at Royal Crest Mall, at 50 Kennedy Rd. S., according to firefighters; but a significant amount of smoke was generated. Firefighters were called at 10:20 a.m., with reports of smoke coming from the mall at Clarence Street. Five trucks and a district chief initially responded, but the first alarm was quickly upgraded to a second alarm in response to the heavy smoke. Three more trucks and a platoon chief responded. The mall was evacuated, and a Brampton Transit bus kept evacuees out of the cold. Tenants and shoppers were allowed to return after the smoke was cleared.