Burlington, KY – Laundry fire at county jail contained with help from sprinkler system

A fire that broke out in a commercial dryer last Monday night at the Boone County Jail was ruled accidental and caused by bedding materials that overheated in the unit.

Crews from the Columbia Fire Department and Boone County Fire Protection District were sent to the jail, 2121 County Drive, at 10:54 p.m. Monday and found neither smoke nor fire visible from the outside, according to a news release.

Fire district personnel arrived first and were taken to the laundry area, where there was light smoke and fire coming from the unit. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze. One sprinkler activated before crews arrived, helping contain the fire to the single unit, the release said.

No injuries were reported. Boone County sheriff’s Detective Tom O’Sullivan said the dryer is a loss, and damage to it and some light smoke damage in the building is estimated to cost about $6,000. The dryer was left on too long, and the heat setting was too high, he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *