About 54 people were evacuated Wednesday from a nursing home in Brattleboro after a fire started in a commercial clothes dryer. The Brattleboro Fire Department was called at 3:55 p.m. to the Thompson House Rehabilitation and Nursing Center at 80 Maple St.
Authorities said the two-alarm fire started in a dryer, which set off the sprinkler system in the building. The water from the sprinkler system kept the fire contained to the laundry room. Residents were taken next door to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital while the smoke cleared the building.