Chief Andy Pless of the Howell Area Fire Department said the fire in the laundry room of the White Pine Rehabilitation and Care Center of Howell at 3003 W. Grand River Ave. was reported just before 11 p.m. Tuesday.
Pless said the center’s sprinkler system also did its job, helping to contain the fire. When the alarm first sounded, White Pine staff immediately began evacuating the center’s residents. Pless said they had nearly cleared the facility when the all-clear was given for the fire call.
According to its website, the more than 2,000-square-foot center “specializes in medically complex and short-term rehabilitation” and offers long-term care for those recovering from surgery or illness or need rehabilitation.