The Killeen Fire Department responded to a small structure fire on the corner of Avenue B and Gray Street just after 8 a.m. today. The fire started in the laundry room of the Word of Life building in downtown Killeen, according to Battalion Chief Clay Brooks, most likely caused by lent in the dryer vent.
“Lent accumulates, and it’s very combustible,” Brooks said. Brooks said the facility’s sprinklers put out most of the flames. “The sprinkler head did its job,” he said. No one in the building was injured, and there is no permanent damage to the structure.